The Rev. Arthur Fforde was the 3rd son of Matthew Fforde of Seaforde and Ann, daughter of Arthur Chamberlain Brownlow of Lurgan. He was educated at Trinity College of Dublin, where he proceeded to the degree of B.A. 1723, and to that of M.A. 1726. He was collated to the Vicarage of Seagoe in 1731 and in September 1748 he resigned the vicarage on being collated to Rector of Shankill. He died on the 24th December, 1767, and is buried on the north side of Shankill Graveyard.
A Terrier of Glebe-lands, Houses, portions of Tithes and other Rights belonging to the Vicarage of Seago are now in the possession of the Rev. Arthur Fforde, Vicar.
A Glebe-house, part of which is built with stone and lime, part with brick and part with clay and straw wrought into a kind of mortar called mudd: the part which is built with stone and brick is in good repair; the other part is mostly in a ruinous way, both timber and walls being almost rotten and decayed. Some part of the said house is covered with shingles but the greater part is thatched with straw. The outhouse of stone and lime covered with shingles was the ancient Glebe-house, but is now of little use, being of a long time much out of repair. A Cowhouse of brick and line; three stables and a barn, the walls thereof are of mud, all thatched. A Kitchen-garden, containing about two English acres of ground, well enclosed and planted.
One Townland, called Lower Seago, in which the church stands consists of about 240 acres, English measure, of arable land, meadow and pasture; besides about 15 acres of Turf bog. About 50 acres of this townland are inthe possession of the present Vicar and are worth about £25 yearly. The remainder is set to the Tenants who have houses on different parts of it at the yearly rent of £68. There is also in this townland a School-house, built by the present Incumbent, of stone and lime, 20 feet long and 16 feet wide in the clear, which together with an acre of land is conveyed by him to the Church Wardens for the use of the Parish Schoolmaster. There has been also for some years past forty shillings a year paid by him to the said Schoolmaster on a condition that ten Popish children be taught by him, such as the said Incumbent shall recommend.
Another Townland called Kilvergan is about one and a half miles from the former, lying on the low road from Seago Church to Lurgan, consisting of 180 acres of arable, meadow and pasture, besides about 20 acres of Turf bog. This is occuped by six Tenants who have all good farm-houses, and pay yearly £62. There is also on this townland a school-house, the walls thereof are of mud, 40 feet long and 14 feet wide in the clear: which together with an acre of land enclosed, and the liberty of cutting 100 cash of turf, is set rent free to the schoolmaster. There are no Impropriate Tithes in this Parish but all Tithes are paid to the Rector and Vicar in their proper kinds - two-thirds to the Rector and one third to the Vicar. The Vicarial part of these and the following articles amount to about £40 yearly.
There is a custom of ninepence for every cow that calves within the present year, instead of the Tithe of calves and milk; and fourpence halfpenny for every stripper cow (i.e. for one that calved the preceding year and continues to give milk in the present) instead of the Tithes of milk, sixpence for every foal, instead of the Tithes of foals, one penny for every sheep, instead of the Tithes of wool, one penny for every lamb, instead of the Tithes of lamb; and sixpence by every family instead of the Tithes of turf. Two-thirds of which are paid to the Rector and one-third to the Vicar.
There is a custom of one penny for every kitchen-garden; fourpence for an offering at Easter, one shilling for every Trade, two shillings and sixpence for every shop; two shillings and sixpence for every Marriage; one shilling and sixpence for the birth of every child; one shilling for the burial of every person who dies in the Parish; two shillings for the burial of any person brought from another Parish; ten shillings for burying within the Church. All these are paid solely to the Vicar and amount to nearly £50 yearly.
* Contributors to this issue included:
D. M. Holt, K. Clendinning, T. Hutton, K.N. McClelland, J.F. McShane and S.J.W. Cooper.