Craigavon Historical Society

CRAIGAVON MUSEUM SERVICES


Waterside House
Philip B. Wilson Local History Library
The Enterprize Barge
The Barn Museum, Tannaghmore Gardens
Moneypenny's Lockhouse, Portadown - Newry Canal,
Learning Programmes
Outreach
Reminiscence Project, Talks and Tours
Contact Us


Craigavon Museum Services offers a range of services at each of its three facilities. The museum service achieved MLA's (Museum Libraries and Archives) Accredited Status in 2008. This accreditation scheme sets nationally agreed standards for museums in the UK, demonstrating our commitment to managing collections effectively for the enjoyment of our communities. The objectives of Craigavon Museum Services are to collect, conserve, interpret and exhibit those artefacts which illustrate the social and industrial history of the Craigavon area in order to promote understanding and enjoyment of Craigavon's heritage.

The museum has four staff - Curator / Museum Development Officer, Library / Administrative Officer and two Museum Assistants. If you have a query about donating objects to the museum, a local history enquiry or have any other questions about the museum service contact one of the members of staff at the address given below.


WATERSIDE HOUSE, OXFORD ISLAND

Waterside House Craigavon Museum Services is based at Waterside House, a one hundred year old two storey house, located on Oxford Island. This building houses our library and collections.


Click to view location map.

OPENING HOURS and visitor information

Mon- Sat 10-1 and 2-4 (all year round)
Sun 2-5pm (April-Sept)

Parking is available at the museum or in Waterside car park, Oxford Island

There is a charge for group tours. Please check with the museum in advance.


THE PHILIP B. WILSON LOCAL HISTORY REFERENCE LIBRARY

Historic books in the library The library, located at Waterside House, has almost 6,000 local history reference books on topics such as traditions and customs, archaeology, transport, social history, agriculture, inland waterways, researching family history, placenames and townlands. It has two unique collections, of Quaker and Methodist books, and archaeological and local history journals including a complete set of 'Review', the biennial journal of Craigavon Historical Society. It also has a collection of Ordnance Survey maps and some photographic collections available for consultation; these focus on the history and development of the Craigavon area.

OPENING HOURS

'To arrange a visit contact the Museum at (028) 3831 1669 or museum@craigavon.gov.uk


THE ENTERPRIZE BARGE

The Enterprize Barge arriving at Waterside HouseThe Enterprize barge, seen being delivered to site, is now located beside Waterside House. Built in Portadown Foundry around 1900, it was used on the Lagan Canal before being converted to a sand barge working on Lough Neagh. Museum Services has been involved in a project to restore the barge to illustrate the history and heritage of inland waterways. The barge contains an exhibition illustrating how this boat worked on Lough Neagh. There is also information about the local canals.

OPENING HOURS and visitor information

Local History Reference Library, Oxford Island
'To arrange a visit contact the Museum at (028) 3831 1669 or museum@craigavon.gov.uk
Admission free.


Back to top of page

THE BARN MUSEUM, TANNAGHMORE GARDENS Waterside House

This is a beautifully restored stone outbuilding beside Fairview House at Tannaghmore Gardens, Lurgan which houses a permanent exhibition across 5 galleries illustrating the bygone days of farming and household chores in County Armagh.

OPENING HOURS and visitor information

Sun 2-5pm (April-Sept) Admission free

Groups can be accommodated at any other times by prior arrangement with museum services staff. Please contact the museum on 028 38 341 635 for booking or further information.

Click to view location map.

There is a charge for group tours. Please check with the museum in advance.

Toilets and parking are available in Tannaghmore Gardens' main car park, a short walk from the museum.


MONEYPENNY'S LOCKHOUSE, NEWRY CANAL TOWPATH

Moneypenny's Lock HouseMoneypenny's Lockhouse and lock is named after the Moneypenny family, the last lock-keepers who lived in the house. It is the final lock before the canal enters the Upper Bann Navigation where the Rivers Cusher and Bann join at the Point of Whitecote, one mile south of Portadown. Craigavon Borough Council owns the Lockhouse but the house is now a private home only part of which is open to the public; the stable and bothy accommodate a small exhibition illustrating life on the canal - those who worked on it, the barges which travelled along it and the flora and fauna surrounding it.

OPENING HOURS and visitor information

Sat, Sun and Bank holiday Mondays 2-5pm (April-Sept) Admission free


Groups visits can be organized at other times by prior arrangement with the museum. Please contact the museum for booking or further information on 028 38 341 635.

There is a charge for group tours. Please check with the museum in advance.

Please note there is no parking available at Moneypenny's Lockhouse. Access is via the Newry Canal towpath from Portadown or Knock Bridge.         Click to view location map.


Back to top of page


LEARNING PROGRAMMES

The museum offers range of formal and informal learning programmes for all ages.

SCHOOLS

For schools we can offer outreach in the classroom or facilitate visits to our museums. Our sessions can be tailored to complement the World Around Us curriculum in particular.

In the classroom

Examples of learning activities delivered by the museum:

  • Victorian life
  • Homes and Houses
  • Life on the Canal
  • Transport
  • World War Two
  • Local Studies
  • The famine
  • History of Lough Neagh
  • Making a memory box
  • Bridges

Outside the classroom

On site visits: Visits and guided tours for schools can be arranged for any of our sites. For further information please contact the museum on (028) 3834 1635.


Back to top of page

OUTREACH

Handling boxes are available to loan for use in schools or by community groups. These are based on a range of themes including the Victorians, how homes have changed over the years, wartime, mystery objects, toys and games, school and childhood.

Reminiscence Projects

The museum can provide loan boxes for reminiscence activities which are available from the museum. These can be booked in advance by contacting the museum. Loan boxes are collected and returned to the museum at Waterside House. The loan boxes are themed on the following topics and come with a folder of suggested activities:

  • School and childhood
  • Home life
  • 1940s
  • 1980s
  • Men at Work.
  • Highdays and Holidays
  • In Style
  • Winter Wonderland

Talks and Tours

The museum provides talks on a range of topics including the history of Lough Neagh, local industries, local towns and villages and talks on the museum collections. Talks can be held in the museum or a member of staff will be happy to visit a group in their own venue if requested.

If you would like to arrange a talk or borrow handling items on a specific theme please contact the museum as we can adapt many of our existing services to suit your group's needs.

There is a charge for some of the services offered. Please contact the museum in advance for details.

Local history projects

The museum can provide a range of material including books, journals, maps and photographs to assist with local history projects. If you are interested in researching local history, the museum would like to hear about your project.


Back to top of page


CONTACT US

For any further information, wish to join our mailing list or have an enquiry, please contact

Craigavon Museum Services
Waterside House
Annaloiste Road, Oxford Island
Craigavon, Co. Armagh
BT66 6NJ
Tel: (028) 3831 1669
e-mail: museum@craigavon.gov.uk


Back to top of page